Forums / Media / Websites

2,576 total conversations in 245 threads

+ New Thread

r/watchpeopledie portrayed by Vice media as sociopaths, causes massive PR nightmare and has to go private.

Last posted Mar 21, 2018 at 04:15PM EDT. Added Mar 18, 2018 at 06:27AM EDT
12 posts from 9 users

I’m not allow to show the video that caused all this ruckus, but from what I’ve heard, while r/watchpeopledie is actually pretty civil amongst discussion, they fear if the subreddit shuts down by the admins, this will mark the end of a website’s reputation that was once known for virtually no censorship.

>reddit
>virtually no censorship

Uh, are you talking about the subreddit itself or the site Reddit? Reddit pretty much removes whatever they themselves deem "inappropriate" rather than things that are strictly illegal.

yummines wrote:

>reddit
>virtually no censorship

Uh, are you talking about the subreddit itself or the site Reddit? Reddit pretty much removes whatever they themselves deem "inappropriate" rather than things that are strictly illegal.

He means the subreddit itself.

I keep my ideals wrote:

He means the subreddit itself.

>"this will mark the end of a website’s reputation that was once known for virtually no censorship."

No he doesn't.

Also, I'm genuinely curious. What could a subreddit titled watchpeopledie be about that wouldn't make them a bunch of sociopaths?

To be honest, I found out that they are actually the most civilized of the bunch. Here’s a link if you want to see: https://www.reddit.com/r/watchpeopledie/comments/856yqr/to_all_wpd_subscribers/?st=JEXH6Q1C&sh=2a05fa60

Vaderzlk11 wrote:

To be honest, I found out that they are actually the most civilized of the bunch. Here’s a link if you want to see: https://www.reddit.com/r/watchpeopledie/comments/856yqr/to_all_wpd_subscribers/?st=JEXH6Q1C&sh=2a05fa60

On the other hand, one can argue that it takes a special kind of mental state to actually have a civil discussion over watching people die.

RandomMan wrote:

On the other hand, one can argue that it takes a special kind of mental state to actually have a civil discussion over watching people die.

Meanwhile every discussion of pg movies or comic books has to have a giant admin post above it outright stating that dissenters will be banned, and a reminder that telling people to kill themselves or leaking irl information as retaliation is against site rules.

So I guess that is the question. What's more crazy, having a rather civilized discussion while watching death or wishing for someone to die and trying to make it happen over a comic book movie.

I am not sure who is the "bad guy" in this conflict it is all so weird hell even the concept of the subreddit itself leaves me in confusion over what to think, is it wrong? It feels wrong but staring at horrible things with detatchment (instead of say any kind of glee or sadism) is really cold but so…neutralish? I will just…stare at a distance I guess

I do quick browses at r/watchpeopledie, subbed an all, but it's out of morbid curiosity and as a learning tool about mortality and accidents. Doesn't affect my daily life, mental state, but does satiate a curious mind.

In my perspective, it's not inherently this corrupting field that causes people to be sociopaths. I don't believe the people on it are morally detached either. In the perspective of a website though, maintaining and hosting the content in that subreddit does raise eyebrows.

I'd understand the reason behind the removal of the subreddit, but it would open a pandora's box of what's truly 'allowed' on reddit.

Black Graphic T wrote:

Meanwhile every discussion of pg movies or comic books has to have a giant admin post above it outright stating that dissenters will be banned, and a reminder that telling people to kill themselves or leaking irl information as retaliation is against site rules.

So I guess that is the question. What's more crazy, having a rather civilized discussion while watching death or wishing for someone to die and trying to make it happen over a comic book movie.

I think there's less of an issue over which series/character/chapter one likes or dislikes, which others disagree with, when it comes to watching people die.

These things can hardly be compared buddy. Imagine going to r/watchpeopledie and reading up a flamewar on who died best.

Last edited Mar 21, 2018 at 04:17PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!