Forums / Media / Video Games

38,678 total conversations in 2,706 threads

+ New Thread

What is this site's opinion on arena fighters?

Last posted Jul 03, 2024 at 08:03PM EDT. Added Jun 24, 2024 at 06:07PM EDT
4 posts from 4 users

I purchased My Hero One's Justice 2 a while ago and have been enjoying it, as I feel like it's a genuinely fun experience. The mechanics are pretty simple, and the characters all have interesting and creative movesets (except for Kai Chisaki, surprisingly).
Arena fighters, I believe are a nice way to channel the energy of a fight in any media, and I'm a fan of how One's Justice 2 didn't go out of its way to try and be more technical, because in my opinion, the more controlled and competitive a fighting game becomes, the less fun it is. What does this site think about them?

SwipeWire wrote:

I purchased My Hero One's Justice 2 a while ago and have been enjoying it, as I feel like it's a genuinely fun experience. The mechanics are pretty simple, and the characters all have interesting and creative movesets (except for Kai Chisaki, surprisingly).
Arena fighters, I believe are a nice way to channel the energy of a fight in any media, and I'm a fan of how One's Justice 2 didn't go out of its way to try and be more technical, because in my opinion, the more controlled and competitive a fighting game becomes, the less fun it is. What does this site think about them?

Speaking as someone who has never bothered to 'git gud' at a traditional fighter (i don't got the patience fo dat), I find them far more visually striking than arena brawlers. I guess this is born from the focus on gameplay depth, as they have to grab the player's attention in order to encourage them to play at their best. At a glance (since I don't normally follow those games), a lot of Arena games feel pretty samey due to seemingly focusing on the character doing 'the thing' more than how the player does 'the thing'. That and they usually sorta have the same psuedo-2d vibe, compared to regular fighters which tend to be much, MUCH more varied.
Tbf, that last one's mainly because regular fighters have been around since gaming's evolutionary hah stages and can cover nearly ANY silly idea you could cook up, but arena games are specifically adaptations of preexisting content (mostly just anime, on top of that mostly just shounen) making them a lot more constrained.
For example, I don't really care much for JoJo ASBR or Eyes of Heaven outside of character interactions, but whenever I see Heritage For the Future my eyes and ears are insta-glued to the wacky action.

I always preferred arena fighters and 3d fighters like soul calibur and tekken over 2d fighters like mortal combat and street fighter. However, I do like Super Smash Bros. Brawl mods, some melee mods like akenia and smash 64 remix.

Greetings! You must login or signup first!