Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,092 total conversations in 681 threads

+ New Thread

Some random advice for folks interested in debating politics

Last posted Apr 20, 2018 at 12:54PM EDT. Added Apr 20, 2018 at 01:54AM EDT
5 posts from 4 users

I'm a dude who's pretty much always questioning myself on whether my beliefs are fair, if i'm debating properly, etc. Often regretting stuff I said not too long after posting due to noticing flaws and preconceptions in it. Probably a result of low self-confidence tbh, but I believe it has some benefits in this area. I've noticed some things I have a tendency to do that don't help my case at all, and I've noticed some other people doing it as well. So here's some things to keep in mind if you've never heard them before. If I'm correct on some of this, might help some folks out.

You should avoid phrases and words that imply that the other person isn't thinking straight or is being ridiculous. "Do you really think [X]?" at the start of a comment is a good example. Other cases include using words that stress the meaning of what you're saying to imply the person you're replying to is talking nonsense. e.g. "[X] can't/is unlikely to [Y]" vs "[X] can't even [Y]". Words like even, really, so, always, never, actually etc are often used like that, instead of more tempered descriptions. Sarcasm used in political debates is also usually a product of this, in general. I could also add some similar usages of italics and bolding, which I've done a few times on past accounts. It can often just be the natural way you talk to folks when you're frustrated with them.

The problem with doing that, is that your argument can most of the work in showing why another person's view is faulty if it truly is. The stuff mentioned above however, is more a product of the visceral reaction to seeing something that seems ridiculous. Feeling somewhat incredulous that the person you're talking to believes what they do. It's a natural feeling, everyone does it to some degree. But it's detrimental to express that when convincing people who disagree with you, as they will likely feel slighted. It mainly gains the support of those who already agreed and felt the same before the debate.

Speaking of visceral reactions though, a similar thing can hurt you in a different area, the area of being convinced rather than doing the convincing. Think of an opinion, ideology, etc that you're very much not fond of, if any. Usually, people who have that view have certain common ideas, phrases, words, etc that make you realize they have such a view. Things you would reference if you tried to imitate someone with that view.

You probably don't have a positive reaction to that stuff, might make ya roll your eyes or not take the person very seriously. However, that can often be more a kneejerk reaction to what you're reading rather than a rational one. Getting used to disagreeing with a certain view can leave you doing it out of instinct, without considering the view or the specifics much. Not leaving as an option to be convinced by such views anymore, by the end. It's fairly easy to do this, it's proven to be pretty natural for me at least. But if you would like to be convince-able by people of all beliefs if they put up a good argument, it's worth trying to keep that sorta reaction down a bit. I've personally been trying to catch myself when I feel like i'm brushing off an opinion too easily lately.

That's pretty much all I got. Hope I'm right and that it helps folks with this stuff.

Last edited Apr 20, 2018 at 02:01AM EDT

Idk, I find calling people idiots irl can effect them at times. I chat with an an-cap dude at my school and we usually chat fine with no issue, but one time he started questioning the holocaust and I straight up called him an idiot and he never brought it up again. Similarly when he was saying that the allies started WW2 (tho that might be out of embarrassment that he didn't know what Czechoslovakia was).

You need to know when to gauge debatable opinions, vs opinions that deserve to be ridiculed.

Princeso Bubblegum wrote:

Idk, I find calling people idiots irl can effect them at times. I chat with an an-cap dude at my school and we usually chat fine with no issue, but one time he started questioning the holocaust and I straight up called him an idiot and he never brought it up again. Similarly when he was saying that the allies started WW2 (tho that might be out of embarrassment that he didn't know what Czechoslovakia was).

You need to know when to gauge debatable opinions, vs opinions that deserve to be ridiculed.

Debating with people you know in real life and are an relatively good terms with is very different from debating internet strangers that are effectively words on a screen to you. Even if they are idiots, if you say it to someone you don't know they'll just go into 'Defense Mode' and nothing you say will register to them. Someone you know and trust calling you an idiot can cause introspection because you're essentially a part of their identity. The best way to change opinions is to get the other guy to think they thought of it.

@Princeso Bubblegum

I'd say that's mostly a product of the person respecting your opinion a bit, that they knew your response wasn't a slight but rather a genuine "that opinion isn't good man". Compared to the online folk ya deal with in general here, who likely don't know you much.

In general though, especially when talking with strangers, I say with beliefs that far off consensus it's best to try to explain why it's so unlikely to be wrong. As a stranger is unlikely to think of you as an authority on the topic without more points brought up. With the holocaust, if the person isn't deep down in the topic, I'd bring up the historian consensus and quantity of similar stories from those who experienced it. Ofc if they're committed to the belief it'd be much harder than that. (btw, if anyone wishes to argue about that let's keep it off this specific thread)

Last edited Apr 20, 2018 at 12:55PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!