Forums / Media / Books & Comics

1,014 total conversations in 114 threads

+ New Thread

Books Series That Failed with First Movie You Want to See Try Again

Last posted Feb 22, 2016 at 01:42PM EST. Added Jan 28, 2016 at 02:10PM EST
18 posts from 17 users

There have been series of novels, particularly in the fantasy genre, that have had attempted to have a movie based on it, but only managed to make one. I was wondering if anyone would like to see another attempt to try and bring them to life again, and not just through movies but also a TV series since that how GoT was able to work. These are some examples of book series that only had one movie based on them that could use this:

• A Series of Unfortunate Events
  • Chronicles of Prydain
  • His Dark Materials
  • Earthsea
  • Inheritance Cycle

If there's any that I didn't include in that list that would be acceptable, feel free to say, but try not to be hipster and say a series that no one knows about. Also I didn't include Narnia and Percy Jackson because they had more than one movie and Narnia is starting back up again.

Me personally, I think Chronicles of Prydain should get this treatment. As someone who actually enjoyed The Black Cauldron, I'd like to see Disney try to bring the series to live action since doing it in animation basically limited them to some restrictions with what they could put in.

The good news is that A Series of Unfortunate Events is getting their own Netflix TV series. I also want to see Eragon get a second chance.

ERAGON omg I forgot about that disappointment. That could have been another Harry Potter as far as a franchise with multiple awesome movies goes.

I'm so excited for Netflix SoUE. I hope it's sooooo good, I wanted to cry when I saw the movie. Netflix has a pretty good track record so far, I'm optimistic.

inb4 broken record thread because I also think Eragon and Golden Compass need to be redone.
Never read Eragon but they fucked up dragons which is a disappointment in itself, and while Golden Compass was visually interesting, they reeeally dropped the ball with it.

Percy Jackson is a good series, but I can't get anyone to believe me cause they think its tween harry potter. :P

But I echo what the others have said, the Golden Compass really deserved a lot better then what it got.

I thought this was about book series turn to movies that we didn't like. I would've said Harry Potter; I think it's the kind of series you must grow up with to appreciate it.

Dan Brown's Robert Langdon series with Angels & Demons, The Da Vinci Code, and Inferno had a couple of movies for the first two books but they were kind of a flop.

Also I can see a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reboot working well in this decade

What the fuck, I honestly didn't know Percy Jackson had a second movie. Well, I suppose that just speaks to how poorly the movie did. I also didn't know there was an upcoming Series of Unfortunate Events series on Netflix. I think one of the biggest reasons the first movie failed is because the books just don't seem well suited to a movie format to begin with, and they tried to solve this by shoving the first three books into one movie. Like??? Why would anyone ever try to do that for an adaptation? So yeah, now I have hopes that an episode format will suit the books better. Does anyone know if the show is going to be directly based off the books? Or are they going to make a new story with the same characters? Now I actually feel inclined to once again try to read through the series and finish it for once.

Part of me does want a good Eragon adaptation (another book series that I didn't actually finish) but part of me kinda wants that one horrible movie to be a standalone. It's just so hilariously bad that it holds a special place in my heart and has been an inside joke between me and my best friend for years.

As many of others have said, Eragon and Golden Compass.

I mean, in the book version of The Golden Compass when the armored bear wins (it's been a while so I don't remember names) he tears the heart out of the other bear and eats it. I want to see that on the big screen at least once in my life.

I was gonna try and think of one, but damn if I can't stop thinking of how much I'd like to see Eragon get another shot. Probably one of my favorite book series.

James Herbert's the rats. They made a movie that was supposed to be in London but they fucked up and made it set in Canada. The whole point of the book was that it highlighted problems at the time of writing about the goverment dealing with poverty.

Last edited Jan 29, 2016 at 03:31PM EST

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Mostly because it didn't fail in the first place. It was a pretty successful movie, hell, it won an Oscar (for editing, but still). I'm guessing bullshit between higher-ups prevented the sequels from happening. At least we have the Swedish versions.

DUNE!
More specifically I want Jodorowsky's Dune!

I think the trailers for documentary speak for themselves
Each adaption of dune have their pros and cons but Jodorowsky's was going to be an awesome psychedelic 7 to 14-hour mind fuck!
Come to think of it, it might work better as a mini-series on HBO or Netflix
And it appears Ari Folman the man who directed Waltz With Bashir, The Congress and Forthcoming Anne Frank film wants to make Jodorowsky's Dune! So there's hope!
Also if anyone is interested Jodorowsky also wrote a series of graphic novels based on his ideas for his adaption of dune.

Last edited Jan 30, 2016 at 02:44AM EST

Yeah Dark Materials but it should absolutely not hold back or try to be a "children's film". It can be a film that children go to see without needlessly holding back the message. I'm fine with the violence being toned down in this interest but it needs to keep stuff like the gay angels and all the religious/anti-religious stuff.

Despite The Percy Jackson series getting two movies (both were awful), I honestly would give it a second chance. Unfortunately every teen or avid reader is obsessed with post 1984 negative utopia stories like Hunger Games and Divergent, which not only makes the genre stale, but completely defeats the main purpose of why 1984 was written.

Jersey Jimmy wrote:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Mostly because it didn't fail in the first place. It was a pretty successful movie, hell, it won an Oscar (for editing, but still). I'm guessing bullshit between higher-ups prevented the sequels from happening. At least we have the Swedish versions.

that movie was so dark. I loved it!!!

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!